The U.S. has deployed Patriot missile batteries in Iraq as the coalition battling the Islamic State group in the country draws down and a war of words between Washington and Tehran ramps up.| the US deploys Patriot missiles
Ground-based air defenses in Iraq were being set up “to protect Iraqi, coalition, and U.S. service members from a variety of air threats,” a Pentagon official confirmed Wednesday, declining to say where or whether they were operational.
“For operational security reasons, we are not providing status updates as those systems come online,” said Pentagon spokesman Cmdr. Sean Robertson in an email.
The systems, able to track and shoot down ballistic missiles, have reportedly been deployed to bases hit by Iranian missile strikes in January that left more than 100 Americans with brain injuries.
A resident of Irbil, the capital of northern Iraq’s Kurdistan region, told Stars and Stripes he spotted a missile battery at the base there this week. One has also been sent to al Asad Air Base in Anbar province, unnamed U.S. and Iraqi security officials told Agence-France Presse, and two more were expected to deploy from Kuwait.
The Iraqi government is “well aware” of the need for such air defenses, Robertson said, and U.S. officials are coordinating closely with their Iraqi counterparts.
“It is important to note that repeated attacks on Iraqi bases, which violate Iraqi sovereignty, have killed and injured Iraqi, coalition, and U.S. service members,” he said.
Meanwhile, President Donald Trump accused Iran or its proxies of plotting a “sneak attack” on U.S. forces in the country, and warned Wednesday on Twitter that Iran would pay a “heavy price indeed” if it carried out the plans.
At a later White House briefing, Trump would not provide specifics, but said the U.S. had “very good information they were planning something.”
“We’re just saying, ‘Don’t do it. Don’t do it.’ It would be a very bad thing for them if they did it,” Trump said.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif responded to Trump’s warnings with one of his own. “Openly Iran starts no wars, but teaches lessons to those who do,” he tweeted.
The Shiite militia Kataeb Hezbollah, which the U.S. struck after two rocket attacks in recent months killed and wounded coalition personnel at Iraqi bases, has threatened revenge and warned of a “painful” response to any further U.S. assaults.
The saber-rattling comes after media reports of the Patriot systems’ arrival in Iraq and a New York Times report that said the Pentagon had ordered American military leaders in the country to prepare for increased fighting and develop plans to destroy Iranian proxy forces.
The missile systems are protected by C-RAMs, which can detect and shoot down incoming rocket and mortar fire, U.S. Central Command chief Gen. Kenneth F. McKenzie told Pentagon reporters in March.
The systems began arriving as the U.S.-led coalition was shuttering smaller outposts and consolidating forces on larger bases, winding down its anti-ISIS mission. Some of the more than 5,000 U.S. troops and other allied forces have also been sent out of the country after Iraq suspended military training to focus on battling the coronavirus pandemic.
The U.S. drawdown was partly linked to the mounting tensions between Washington and Tehran, an official told The Associated Press.
“We’re taking precautions,” the official said, adding that troubling indicators have been “coming across the threat stream” on a daily basis.|US deploys Patriot missiles
- Top 10 K-Drama ListK-dramas have become a global phenomenon, captivating audiences worldwide with their unique storytelling, captivating performances, and heartwarming romances. Here’s a list of the top 10 K-dramas (in no particular order) that have left a lasting impact on viewers: Note: The popularity and impact of K-dramas can vary, and there have been many exceptional series beyond… Read more: Top 10 K-Drama List
- Lionel Messi Shines in Inter Miami’s Leagues Cup Triumph against Orlando CityIn a stunning display of football brilliance, Lionel Messi showcased why he is regarded as one of the greatest footballers of all time. Making his presence felt in the MLS (Major League Soccer), Messi scored twice to lead Inter Miami to a remarkable victory over Orlando City in the highly anticipated Leagues Cup match. This… Read more: Lionel Messi Shines in Inter Miami’s Leagues Cup Triumph against Orlando City
- Heartstopper Season Two Review: An Even Sweeter and Lovelier LGBTQ+ Teen Drama“Heartstopper,” the British LGBTQ+ teen drama based on Alice Oseman’s popular webcomic of the same name, returned for its highly anticipated second season, and it did not disappoint. The show, which premiered on streaming platforms in 2022, continues to capture the hearts of audiences with its heartwarming storyline, authentic representation, and touching performances. In this… Read more: Heartstopper Season Two Review: An Even Sweeter and Lovelier LGBTQ+ Teen Drama
- Unveiling the Rising Star: Ahn Bo-hyun – A Versatile Actor Redefining Korean DramasIn the world of Korean entertainment, actors with exceptional talent and magnetic charisma rise to fame and captivate global audiences. One such remarkable talent is Ahn Bo-hyun, a rising star in the Korean entertainment industry. With his captivating performances and chameleon-like acting abilities, Ahn Bo-Hyun has quickly become a household name and is reshaping the… Read more: Unveiling the Rising Star: Ahn Bo-hyun – A Versatile Actor Redefining Korean Dramas
- Women IPL (WPL) 2023 Schedule, List of Teams & Players, Match Time-TableThe Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has announced men’s like IPL for women this year. The teams have been decided and the player auction is completed while writing this article. The inaugural edition of WPL will start on 04 March 2023 with a match between Gujarat Giants and Mumbai Indians. Participant Teams WPL 2023:… Read more: Women IPL (WPL) 2023 Schedule, List of Teams & Players, Match Time-Table